Sunday, January 29, 2006

Art that makes us feel...



Although he did many self-portraits, this one, for some reason stands out to me. The great Renaissance-era German artist, Albrecht Durer is responsible for this dark, glowing, and proud work.
Since I first came across it, I can't seem to get it out of my mind's eye. To me, it speaks volumes of solemn pride, yet uncertainty of the future. It makes me feel very emotional, in general. He was 28 when he did this work & I feel, just by looking at the piece, that he was really feeling his youth starting to slip away...perhaps he felt the aging process just starting to rear its head...sensing subtle changes on the horizon...

I, too, am 28, and while I realize we live a bit longer (if we are lucky) these days, I still can feel subtle changes within my mind, soul, and body starting to really take place. I feel like he shares those feelings with me. I don't feel old at all, but I feel....different....more aware of everything...more aware of my mortality, more aware of pain, more aware of happiness. Perhaps that is why this work speaks to me. It seems full of pride of where he has been, uncertainty of where he is going, and the ambition that holds it all together to continue on, regardless the consequences.

Maybe you get something different out of this work...perhaps nothing at all...Feel free to share.


For more information about the artist Albrecht Durer and is work, please visit http://www.boglewood.com/cornaro/xdurer.html

6 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin Carr said...

this makes me feel, it reminds me of a friend of mine who is always looking so hopefully at the world and who is so disappointed when humanity fails.
this looks like my friend too, his skin, his hair, it all looks so youthful, basking in the light,
even though the world has made him old.
i really like this painting.

21:11  
Blogger Gypsy said...

Made me feel like he was placing a hint of jesus upon the world, with a solom face that is trying not to judge, and the period clothing the distance of time.....priceless really...heartbreaking... very beatiful. but i do not feel

18:28  
Blogger Colleen said...

A very interesting work. Almost haunting and yet beautiful. At 28, he looks very world-weary already.

07:26  
Blogger Jexebel said...

It's got fantastic light. How someone is able to find such an incredible frame of liting for a self potrait is incredible.

22:10  
Blogger -x- candie -x- said...

Hey -- thanks for the comment on 360. Yeh, I love that little passage... I don't remember where I found it though. Yeh, I wish love felt like that forever... or maybe I just haven't found a deep enough love yet... hell, I'm young, so never know.

-x- Candie

21:33  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

Thank you all for your comments! I just love comments on art because you can really stop & take a look at the different perspectives & different thoughts a peice of art brings upon people!

Don't you find it interesting that almost all of us found something different in it? I love it!

11:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!