Thursday, October 20, 2005

Pull out? Support the troops?


Someone said that we, the United States, need to pull out of Iraq immediately. It's difficult for me to disagree with them, emotionally, as the death toll just for the Americans alone steadily climbs above 2000. Not to mention that I lost a good comrade through this mess, and one of my nephews was injured severely by a roadside bomb.

However, I have to think rationally about this; turn off the emotion. Regardless of what your views of the war are, there is no way we can ethically pull out right now. I disagreed with the reasons we were given for going to Iraq as well as the timing. I feel that we, as American people were misled into this war, and that our administration also was misled and didn't take the time to weight the evidence of WMD. (pretty sad you know exactly what that stands for now, isn't it?)

Yes, I am glad that a horrible dictator is out of control and being brought to justice. I am happy for the Iraqi people having even the slightest chance of leading a better life, but sometimes with endless bombings all around them, it seems as though the Iraqi people are worse off now than before. And that is not to blame our troops. Our troops are doing everything they can and most of them truly care about trying to make things better.

But, regardless of if we were wrong or right about this war (and I think we were wrong from day 1), it is now our responsibility as human beings, not necessarily just as Americans, to ensure that we at least restore some sense of stability to the area. We can't just go in, destroy the country and leave it to waste & ruin. There are human beings there that are innocent & deserve better than that & it is just plain wrong! That would be like going into someone's home, uninvited, ramsacking it in the excuse that we are confescating some illegal drug and then just leaving them, without cleaning up the mess or helping them find a better way to deal with life.

So the question then becomes, will the suicide bombers and insurgencies ever stop or slow down enough to get a handle on the situation so that we can restore peace, a democratic government and leave Iraq properly and respectfully?

The problem is that I don't know the answer, and I don't think our administration knows the answer either. And that scares me. I think we jumped into this thing head-on without a proper plan. So what can we do to save it? I really don't know.

Our troops are doing the best they can with what they have and what they have isn't enough. The government says they support the troops and everyone drives around with their little yellow ribbon car magnets but supporting the troops goes a lot further than words from a politician or car-magnets. Proper equipment, proper plan, armor, stop cutting Veterans Administration healthcare funding.....all of these are critical.

I really hope our elected officials can fix this and get us out of Iraq the correct, proper, and admirable way.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelli Perkins-Bauer said...

I agree, we shouldn't pull out immediately. What is unfair, however, is that people in this administration are making money off the rebuilding of Iraq. This is what's fishy to me, what makes the whole war-thing fishy. I don't follow many left-wing conspiracies, but don't you think it's a little odd that Cheney's former company got the majority of the bids to go in and rebuild Iraq? I have no problem helping people - I think America owes this since we have been buttheads to many people, but what upsets me greatly is how this Admin. goes in to "do good" as they make a bunch of money off of the devastation of war and oil prices. And our good soldiers die and/or come back scarred as a result. It's not the kids of the Admin. who die.

Sorry I haven't stopped by for a bit. My computer was acting up. Thanks for coming by to see me!

18:26  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

I know what you mean. The whole situation has been very fishy from day one.

I think one thing that scares me the most, and I failed to mention this in my posting, is that when I was in Kuwait for Enduring Freedom in 2001, the civilian contractors that run the main base there even said that we would be back very soon to go to Iraq. At the time, I blew them off and figured they always thought that way, but as we were leaving, we were in convoy in the desert & all kinds of new desert kabals or posts were being built. When we asked about them, we were told they were gearing up for another Iraq war. Interesting...and that was way back in 2001. Suspicious, I think.

09:22  
Blogger Kelli Perkins-Bauer said...

What is "Enduring Freedom?" I was in Operation Desert Storm (ok, so yes I am old :). Was this the "aftermath" of the first Iraq war? Were you there before 9/11 - did this incident happen before then? Reading your post right now gave me the shivers down my spine. Very scarey.

18:23  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

Operation Enduring Freedom was the operation that happened as a direct result of 9/11 we started raiding Afghanistan in search for Bin Laden. But the operation also had other locations around the world...I don't know what all of them where, but I was in Kuwait for it as more of a show of force.

20:36  
Blogger BlueMoon said...

Amen girlie,
this whole things reeks from day one. I believe we should stick around, clean up, and rebuild. Just sorry the whole crooked thing was started in the first place. I also believe more people should start writing their Senators about this travesty.

21:47  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

Yes, we should all be writing our Senators, shouldn't we? Good reminder for me to do a little more. I already do a few things through moveon.org but I need to do even more. :D Thanks for commenting!!!! *hugs*

13:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!