Saturday, October 08, 2005

Good Girl!

"Good girl," i declared as I patted her on the head and gave her a bowl of water. Slurp, slurp, slurp; she lapped it up, shook her coat, then wagged her tail as she looked up at me with her sweet big brown eyes.

"I can't believe she did it," I told my husband, putting my hands on my hips as I stretched my legs. "She's come along way," he confirmed with the pride of a father, kneeling to rub her tummy. "There was a time when she was too scared to go down a small set of stairs, and now, look at her. She should be proud of herself. I know I am proud of her."

The recipient of this praise and disbelief is my little dog, Sugar. A miniature American Eskimo housedog, you wouldn't expect her to have just climbed a VERY steep canyon wall (not sure of it's exact height but it is BIG and takes a good hour to get up it in shape and requires alot of rock-climbing, ledge-climbing and that tupe of thing.)...but she did it (with very little help from us, I might add.)

See, the reason we are so proud of her is that we got from some friends of ours when she was only a puppy. Apparently, the people that "owned" her (although I hate to use ownership with creatures) before our friends did had apparently mistreated her and abused her. So, needless to say, she was very skiddish when we first took her in. At one time, she was terrified of a set of 5 stair-steps or shivered at the thought of attempting to jump into the seat of our car.
But that was 1998 and this is 2005 and
she really has come a long way.

So to our little hardcore house puppy, I say, good job!

1 Comments:

Blogger Patri Ann said...

I have part ownership of a dog. I am not a dog person. I like to think that I own the front left half (making me 1/4 of the responsible adult like figure, and leaving the other 3/4 to her, which means I get the cute part and she gets part of the cute part and the whole butt part, which does some not cute things.). I never understood how a doggie could be so much a part of a family, until now.

Kudos to your little woofer!

15:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!