Sunday, October 30, 2005

Fiscal Virginity


I wouldn't normally have thought much about it except that I was already in a deep, reflective mood today. Maybe it was because of Halloween steadily approaching, but who knows. They came over to visit and plopped themselves down on the couch with raw teenage energy.

Dressed in matching blue jeans & white cotton shirts my 17 year-old twin nephews told proudly of their new jobs. They complete each others' sentences and are completely inseparable. They are identical in every way except for personality. One is jovial, easy-going and quiet...The other loud, serious, and stern but they care deeply for each other.

As I listened to them tell me of their recent accomplishment in finding these new jobs that would pay them what seems like a fortune to their uncorrupted minds, my mind wandered.

I watched them, bright eyes, eager spirits talk about their newfound "riches" and it hit me. This was a moment when they had lost their fiscal virginity. It was kind of sad to me to know that up until today, they really had not wasted any time worrying about money or how to get more of it. As long as there was food on the table, it didn't matter where the money came from because it was just always there.

It seems all we do as adult human beings is worry about money, how to get more of it and how to make ends meet. This was something they had not had to deal with until now. While they are still warm in the nest, they have now got their hands on cold, hard cash and once you feel it, and feel what it can do for you, it changes everything. All we do from that moment on is try to get more of it. Then, when they leave the nest, they will worry about paying rent, buying groceries, having fun, and keeping it all in balance while trying to find more money. The cycle just continues until they die unless, of course they are fortunate enough to win the lottery which is unlikely.

I guess I just felt sad for them....sad for innocence lost...sad that they will not understand that moment for a very long time. I guess I never really realized my moment of lost virginity to the almighty dollar until this moment today. I guess we all go through it. They will be caught up in hunting for more money until the day they die...like all of us seem to be doing even if just to simply survive.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

Fiscal Virginity.... I suppose I never really thought about it, but you have put it very eloquently.

04:53  
Blogger mj said...

very well described, there is one proverb in my language if people dont let die the child inside of them this world will be a heaven :)

05:02  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

Thank you both for your comments. It was just something that just came to me..lol.

07:05  
Blogger BlueMoon said...

Lovely post...It's too sad that we are all so caught up in money. I think the barter system was so much better.

Will email ya when I am not so crabby...Like next millenium or so - LOL!

Just kidding, I will email this weekend.

*HUGE HUG*

21:46  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

LMAO...not too crabby..no pun intended eh? LOL...it is GREAT to hear from you! I am glad you found the post interesting. Talk to you later!!!!

*huge(er) hug* ;)

14:14  
Blogger Peaceful Warrior said...

Wow...your posts are very honest and very refreshing. It has been a while since posting myself and I have yet to put the best of me into my posts...but you inspire me girl.

I found you from a comment you made on my site a few months ago. I guess I should freshen it up a bit since company may come.

Thanks for stopping by.

~Peace

08:10  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

Thanks peaceful warrior! I appreciate you stopping in. I enjoy your posts as well so keep them coming! :D

17:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!