Saturday, October 08, 2005

Empathetic Pathetic

For some reason I needed comfort tonight....comfort, like a
warm blanket, to reassure me it was ok to fall asleep...ok to
leave the blunders and burdens of the day behind.


As I read the news of the earthquake in Pakistan I can't help
but feel empathy for the suffering and pain going on
there...and a bit of resentment for those of us, half a world
away, happily asleep in our beds, ignorant to the pain.


"We all have our times of pain and suffering", someone once told me.
But do we? Have we? And does that make it ok to go on as
if nothing has happened? Since it has not happened to us this time? I don't know how to feel about that.


Am I just too empathetic sometimes? I feel pathetic.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe the Working Schlub said...

Difficult to empathize when we have no way of comprehending total and absolute destruction. It's a sad cycle when news just becomes the passive fodder for our daily entertainment.

13:11  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

I agree. Thanks for commenting.

14:06  
Blogger Kelli Perkins-Bauer said...

You are not alone. I just read how many schools over there were affected, leaving many, many children either dead or buried alive. How can we numb ourselves to such tragedy? Is it right to - or are we supposed to cry in front of an altar every waking moment as noone listens? Sometimes I feel as if I am making myself numb because our world has seen nothing but tragedy for several years now. I don't know what is normal from abnormal.

14:43  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

You hit the nail right on the head kelli perkins-bauer. It is just so depressing, then feel guilty, but should I? I help with what I can, when and where I can but is that enough? I just don't know anymore...too much is going on.

14:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!