Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Coffee cups & poor people dying....



Well, I don't know if any of you have heard about this yet or not but I cannot keep my mouth shut about this one. I am still blinking and trying to pinch myself to check and see if it is really happening. Ok, so here it is...

Baylor University, yes, in my current state of Texas, has banned a coffee cup from the campus Starbucks. The reason that they have banned this cup is because it contains a quote from a gay novelist saying basically to live your life the way you want to & not to suppress your feelings out of fear.

I could go on and on about how this makes me feel & how depressing and enfuriating it is to know that I live in a state or even a country that worries about what two consenting, loving adults do behind their own bedroom doors, but I will refrain. I think this coffee cup ban speaks for itself about the conservative fundamentalist agenda.

I think that Baylor University needs to stop worrying about what coffee cups say and start worrying about taking a stand on what's right & wrong. Let's stop following blindly the extremist right-wing agenda & start thinking on our owns. After all, Baylor, you ARE a university, aren't you? Perhaps a Baptist one, but a university, none the less. You have a big say in things & could use it in a more positive way.

Like, for instance, perhaps questioning the actions of our current administration? There are poor 18 year-olds that couldn't afford to go to college that joined the Army instead and are now forced to fight a war that was started for the wrong reasons. (And if you disagree with me, please review my profile because I have served my country so I am not just some whiney idealist spouting empty comments. You see, I know what it's like to be sent to a middle eastern country with unanswered questions about the reason you are there & with idealists staring you down & threatening you at every turn.)

But, then again, coffee cups are really the important issue here, aren't they? I mean, why would you want to stand up for anything really important when it is so easy to hate & judge? Silly me...why am I going off on issues like dying human beings, that don't matter. So, thanks, Baylor University for reminding me of that.

6 Comments:

Blogger ChrisWoznitza said...

Hi I´m Chris. Greatings from Germany Bottrop !!

15:16  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

Hey Chris. You live in a beautiful country. I have been to Frankfurt, but only spent one night there. I am trying to take a look at your blog. It looks really nice. I can't get the English site to load, but will try again. (Sorry, can't speak German). Thanks for stopping in! :D

15:19  
Blogger Patri Ann said...

Word. I'm about up to here (envision me standing with my hand indicating a very high place) with the homophobic bullshit I've been encountering all over lately, and with the inane issues that are taking precident over--oh, I don't know, the really big stuff that matters--like a wrong-reason war and a city or two underwater with no federal relief for the citizens.

17:22  
Blogger Chick With A Gun said...

patri ann,

Thanks for commenting. It is very frustrating to see all of this going on & feeling a little helpless. Yes, we can make a difference, but it takes more than one of us to do so most of the time. All we can do is keep trying to reach as many people as we can by standing up for what is right when & where we can do it. The world will eventually change. It has to.

Take care.

19:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Sista~

I totaly agree, and it takes someone like you ( Yeah you !). TO point it out to remind all of us from time to time what is going out there. Bit easy to walk by and not notice, takes alot more to stop and say something. Thanks for the post =)

07:06  
Anonymous Arlen said...

It cannot succeed as a matter of fact, that's what I suppose.
Colleges in NJ | apartment rent | holiday recipes Christmas

15:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home

adopt your own virtual pet!